We’re thrilled to welcome Faith Hunter, an acclaimed author and yogi whose transformative journey—from family challenges to emotional healing through yoga, meditation, and writing—has empowered and inspired many.
Today we discuss:
- Faith’s developmental first decade with Mama Banks, her “second mother”, that taught ways of showing up in the world as a nurturing black woman.
- Growing up with two brothers who had serious health issues and how Faith felt the need to be the good girl, stay out of the way and not add additional stress to her parents’ lives.
- Faith’s eventual shedding of the “good girl” persona following a divorce.
- How it felt to “keep family secrets” related to her brothers’ HIV+ status and the impact this had on relationships.
- Faith’s perspective on the phrase….“I ain’t sorry”. Why do we need to apologize for what makes us happy?
- Faith’s advice to listeners: Say yes to yourself, say yes to something every day. Say no to things that don’t align.
Faith Hunter is a global yoga and meditation instructor, wellness philanthropist, movement motivator, healing guide, and music head. She is the architect of Spiritually Fly™, a life philosophy that awakens the brilliance within the soul, and uses the ancient technologies of breath, movement, sound (chanting & music), and stillness in a fresh and modern way to encourage students to live the life they desire.
Faith Hunter began her practice of yoga and meditation in the early 90s to manage the stress and emotional pain of her older brother dying of complications related to AIDS. Through mindfulness, personal reflection, and deep personal practices, Faith was able to release her fears and experience an awakening from within. Over the past 20-plus years, Faith has studied yoga, meditation, breathwork, reiki, and many wellness approaches. She’s graced the covers of Yoga Journal (twice), Om Yoga & Lifestyle, Origin Magazine, and Sweat Equity. Faith has also appeared on Wendy Williams, The Real Housewives of Potomac, and in Essence, Black Enterprise, Women’s Health, Shape, New York & YOGA magazines.
She’s an exclusive yoga & wellness expert for BeachBody, iFIT Nordic Track, Fitbit, and Meditation Studio App. She has proudly represented endemic brands such as Athleta, Footlocker, and lululemon, as well as non-endemic brands such as Warner’s and Weleda. In addition, Faith is an author who has penned two books, Shades of the Soul (poetry and daily inspirations), and her latest, Spiritually Fly: Wisdom, Meditations, and Yoga to Elevate Your Soul.
Find out more about Faith:
Faith’s upcoming programs:
Today’s episode sponsored by:
Work with Betsy & Kate In Person:
- Tend Her 3.0: A 4-week Online Course on Resilience. Registration begins October 4. Follow us on Instagram or sign up for our newsletters for more info.
- Resilience Summit: November 17, 9-4PM at Little Lights on the Lane, West Branch, IA. Registration opens October 23.
- Re-Wilding Retreat: May 11-18, 2024, in Nosara, Costa Rica at Blue Spirit Retreat Center. More info here.