Join us today as we interview Dr. Arielle Schwartz, a psychologist and expert on trauma. This is a powerful and hopeful conversation about turning toward our wounds, the power of inhabiting the body, and and the resulting compassion that emerges for ourselves and others when we do this.
Today we discuss:
- Arielle’s early years and how she was shaped by her parent’s divorce at the age of 4. She talks of living in 2 different households with distinctly different energies, and the effect this had on her own developing nervous system.
- The power of yoga in Arielle’s life and the profound realization of what it was like to feel like herself after a practice.
- How trauma can look “subtle” such as criticism, high expectations for performance, not seeing or hearing you, and how these experiences can have profound and damaging effects.
- The importance of an attuned and steadfast “other” when working with trauma, whether this is a parent, a friend, a therapist, a healer.
- Why nature and play are such key tools for helping us heal.
Dr. Arielle Schwartz is a clinical psychologist, internationally sought-out teacher, and leading voice in the healing of trauma. She is an internationally sought-out teacher, leading voice in the field of trauma recovery, and author of seven books including The Complex PTSD Workbook, The Post-Traumatic Growth Guidebook, and Applied Polyvagal Theory in Yoga. As the founder
of the Center for Resilience Informed Therapy, she offers a mind-body approach to therapy for trauma and informational mental health and wellness updates through her writing, public speaking, social media presence, and blog. She believes that the journey of trauma recovery is an awakening of the spiritual heart. Learn more at www.drarielleschwartz.com.
Find out more about Dr. Arielle:
Books and Authors mentioned:
If you like this episode, check out related Tend Her Wild Podcasts:
- Therapy, Anyone?
- The Heroine’s Journey: Reclamation of the Feminine
- Self-Compassion: The Secret Sauce of Life
- Freedom in Truth with Kate and Betsy
- Returning to the Body
Today’s episode sponsored by:
Work with Betsy & Kate In Person:
- Tend Her 3.0: A 4-week Online Course on Resilience. Registration begins October 4. Follow us on Instagram or sign up for our newsletters for more info.
- Resilience Summit: November 17, 9-4PM at Little Lights on the Lane, West Branch, IA. Registration opens October 23.
- Re-Wilding Retreat: May 11-18, 2024, in Nosara, Costa Rica at Blue Spirit Retreat Center. More info here.